Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Spice of Life

Plain, simple, boring..... No, I'm not talking about my life.  Although sometimes it is that way but I'm talking about food. Salad, veggies and chicken can be tasty but also can be pretty plain, simple and boring without a little spice or seasoning to them. There are so many different ways to add a some spice to your food life.  I have a  few favorites, including a new, old one.
 
Do you remember the commercial for Frank's red hot sauce.... For me that's Pesto. I would put the S#!+ on everything! You name it tossed with pasta, used as salad dressing, put in wraps, on sandwiches, sauce for mini pizzas, you get the idea. I took it on a chicken wrap (wholegrain wrap, mixed lettuce, chicken, cucumber & pesto) to work for lunch and literally felt like I was transformed to a fancy bistro instead of my lunch room! It's so versatile, you can make your own or I like myself, I opted to buy it already done.
 
I find different seasons also play on the spices I use.  My favorite season is Summer and I spice up my summer by using a Mediterranean spice mix. I use it on bbq chicken, I make a Greek chopped salad (chopped up cucumber, red onion, red peppers, celery, tomatoes & feta, toss with evoo and greek seasoning mix) and toss my pasta in it. It's also nice to have this on occasion in the winter on my baked chicken, makes me think of warm weather.
 
 
Lately my new, old favorite spice mix has been Tex Mex. If fact I cooked up a little chicken with it to top off my salad for dinner tonight! This new old combo came about last month when I made turkey tacos for the first time. (See my Snowy Day post for more about that.)  I can't wait to make them again and ground turkey was on sale this week! Plus since I bought a whole bottle of Tex Mex spice I can't wait to experiment and try other ways to use it... Maybe turkey burgers or tex mex meatloaf will be in my future. Either way sometimes plain and boring isn't so bad, but even a simple spice mix like salt and pepper can jazz up a meal.  What's your Spice of Life?

3 comments:

  1. thats a good spice.

    I use mine to do chicken soft tacos. I also love to use the pampered chef southwest seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pesto! It's fantastic!!
    I regularly use smouldering smoked applewood, and chipotle mango... both by Club House. Except... the smoked applewood was a limited edition one and it's really hard to find and it's almost gone :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh chipotle mango that sounds tasty! I like a company called sunset gourmet, if you ever are invited to a party check it out. That's were I got my Mediterranean seasoning, it has since been discontinued so I understand.

      Delete