Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Beauty and the Beast

Fat. Ugly. Failure.
 
These are all things I have thought about myself throughout my life at one point or another. More often then I realized before preparing this blog. I have caught myself looking in the mirror and telling myself I look fat and disgusting. Then I realized what I said and told myself to stop it. I think I have always dealt with low self esteem and not a lot of confidence. Don't get me wrong I can come off very confident but that's just laying on the surface like make up it eventually washes off.  I used to be a lot more confident and I'm not to sure what happened to that girl but I'd like to find her again and keep her around. I do know that I have wanted to lose weight for a very long time. I do honestly have a diary from High school and in it I have wrote that I was going to lose 10 pounds. And then a few months later I said the same thing again.
 
Why do we put such an emphasis on what we look like? I doubt I will ever look like a model on the cover of a magazine or wear bikini or have six pack abs. I'm ok with that. I think the reason why I had so many failed attempts at weight loss is because I was doing it for all the wrong reasons. Like in high school I wanted to be skinny to be cool and popular. I wanted to be skinny because I thought I would be liked more. Or later in my life I wanted to be thinner because I wanted to be able to go shopping with my friends and actually shop. It's hard going into stores knowing they have absolutely nothing you will fit in. When I finally decided to lose weight I wanted to lose it for me, for my future, for my health.
 
I envy women who love their bodies and are not afraid to show it. I tend to hide my body in baggy clothes even though I know I can look amazing in clothes that flatter myself. I have the pictures to prove it. I did reward myself last summer for all my hard efforts in my weight loss journey so far. I did a Lady Luck Pin Up photo shoot, it felt amazing to get dolled up. For that one day I actually was a model. I can say I will wear red lips with confidence. I have to remember that I am the Beauty and I need to slay the Beast, my low self esteem.
 
 
Why am I talking about this you ask because I want anyone who reads this to know they are not alone. And I think we can get stronger and be more confident. Now is the perfect time too, did you know that February is International Boost Self-Esteem Month? Here are 10 tips I found on how we can boost our own self esteem:
 
1. Stop comparing yourself to others
2. Compliment yourself regularly
3. Exercise consistently
4. Simply smile
5. Focus on your accomplishments
6. Get the support you need to succeed
7. Make a list of your positive qualities
8. Find something special in each day
9. Eat better
10. Explore a passion
 
To read more on each tip check out the article I found this from. (Boost Your Self-Esteem)

I know this is something I am going to be working on. It's all a part of my Journey :)

7 comments:

  1. This is incredible and frankly moved me to tears. We must love ourselves first and foremost and realize we are all the wonderful things we say about others - we're worth it too! Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far in your quest for a more healthy and fulfilling life! Everyone needs a Lady Luck day ;) Thanks for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much! That means so much to me! all I every wanted was to inspire other people!

      Delete
  2. You size doesn't define you. Your positive attitude, strength and perseverance do. Be proud of your accomplishments! Be proud of being YOU!

    ReplyDelete